Thursday, March 29, 2012

Becoming a Domestic Goddess

it's not often that I share recipes, mostly because I've never thought of myself as domestic or knowing how to cook more than toast...
but I've changed! 
since becoming vegan (which has been just over a month now!!!) I have become this domestic GODDESS! well that might be a bit of a stretch but I have really stepped up my game...not to toot my own horn or anything...
the point is
 i am a changed woman. 
I enjoy cooking now! we eat at home so much more often now that I'd be a damned fool not to get creative in the culinary department! In the first time in forever i actually want cookbooks (vegan ones) over clothes...well that's a bit of stretch...if you are for some reason looking to get me a gift (Easter, my graduation in june, my bday in September) DO NOT take my word on that! but you get the idea. and again not to toot my own horn but i have a small a$$ kitchen! ZERO counter space, i have to choose if i want my toaster out or the coffee maker, one at a time people - now that's sacrifice! so cooking in my shoebox of kitchen is no easy luxurious Paula Deen thang! 
it's a mess! a crowded, dirty, filthy, tango between me and my whisk... or should i say between me and my ninja (food processor thing my dear aunt got me! now i don't know what i would do without it!) 
so, all i'm really trying to say is i give myself more props because cooking in my tiny kitchen is like solving a puzzle - trying to find a place for the mixing bowl and the chopping block! 

so...i'm a little proud, if you didn't notice from all my horn tooting. 
and i apologize, i know it's not lady like, but i mean who am i trying to kid?! you guys already know, i am no lady! 

with that being said, i now share with you 
BLACK LUNG PIE
(because the pretzels can often be mistaken for cigs!) 


(name from a witty facebook friend, thanks! you know who you are!) 
i found this little gem on pinterest! 
(you should follow me if you don't already @Kayla O'Rourke) 
and it is the most simple treat you could make but tastes so dang good it don't taste simple!
that's our little secret! 
shhhhhh.

Ingredients:
16 oz silken tofu
1 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp soy milk 
2 tsp vanilla 
1 pre-made (or you could get fancy and DIY) pie crust 
2 handfuls of pretzels 
chocolate syrup 

prep:

mix together tofu, peanut butter, sugar, soy milk, and vanilla in a food processor or blender until smooth

scoop entire mix into pie crust and let refrigerate for 2 hours 

remove from fridge when ready to serve and apply chocolate syrup in pattern that tickles your fancy most and decorate with pretzels (crumbs, broken, or whole!) 

serve
 enjoy! 

the only thing i would add is the longer its refrigerated the better it looks when served (it was a b*tch to make look pretty on a plate!) 

this recipe is from: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/desertrecipes/r/peanutbutterpie.htm


we got to enjoy this fabulous treat with our new found old friends (because me and Gracie went to high school together, but hadn't seen each other in years!) who we love - Brian and Gracie!! 


Are they not the cutest?!? 
if you don't already hate them because they're so adorable you will once i tell you this:
they're expecting a little baby girl on the fourth of July! 
(little lady liberty in there ;) ) 
she's is going to be one of the cutest babes i already know! 
i mean...look at those genes! 
can't go wrong! 

No comments:

Post a Comment